Sunday, April 02, 2006


Got Family?
The image of a single Mother with her son was taken just in back of my studio where the Essex Steam trains runs daily and just down the road from the Ferry that runs to Haddam Lyme across the CT River. I feel a great sense of gratitude when I think about what a beautiful place I live in. I often feel as though I live in one of Mark Twain's novels.

I have watched as our image of family has changed throughout the years. I am a witness to many different types of families that don't reflect what I was shown on TV as the average family consisting of Mother, Father and brothers and sisters and the family pet.


Families come in all shapes sizes and colors. Can we make room for all these families? Does it push a button within you when you see something that does not reflect what you think it should be?

Today I photograph families that have adopted children from all over the world. I have photographed gay and lesbian families. I photographed single parent families. And what was known as the traditional family. The common thread that I see when photographing these families is the LOVE that is present within the family. It is a real honor to be a witness when a family can express their LOVE.

While many images were taken of the Mother and Son together I felt this one touched my heart the most as it to me captured their bond and connection together. I love the grace in which the Mother is able to balance on the train tracks. Look at her arms as they are stretched across to provide her with balance she needs to continue to stay on track. Then look at the little boy who is very determined not to fall off the tracks. Notice his arms and where they are. He has not learned to balance yet. The Mother who now takes her ability to stay on track for granted finds it easy and fun while the little boy is challenged and at some points frustrated by his inability to stay on track.

If we were to use the train tracks as a metaphor we could say that the tracks represent our life and the balance that it takes to stay on track. We can also see that years and experience has afforded the Mother the grace to walk on the tracks almost effortlessly. The youth of the young boy wants very much to be able to do what his Mother is able to and so he brings his determination to walk with balance. Although I am not a parent I would imagine that a parent would want to instill in their children the willingness to continue to walk on their tracks no matter how many times they have fallen off or even gotten derailed by Life. I would also imagine that having children would be a great motivator in continuing to stay on track as well.

Celebrate your Family!


Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Powered By Blogger