Saturday, April 08, 2006












A Shared Smile

When I think of a family portrait the image I receive is that of the classic image of the whole family perfectly posed and looking into the camera smiling. I have seen many of them in my clients homes that are nice and all but don't exude a feeling at all. As a photograph it's done it's job on a base level. Here is the family, this is what they look like, and yes they have a lab. Hee! Hee!
Many times the people have a deer caught in the headlights look. Have you seen this type of image? No wonder why many people are not excited about having family portrait made.

As a photographer I am inspired by truth, I want very much to photograph emotion that is real and powerful. Its around us all the time. Sometimes I witness it as subtle like in the grabbing of a hand or the squeezing of a shoulder. Sometimes its very apparent in an embrace or in a smile or the eyes. I look for opportunities to allow for people to show up without the inner critic that lives inside each one of us. I find that if I can allow a group to forget about their inner critic and be present with me and have fun the sky is the limit on what we can do.

The image of a father and son shows a wondeful connection that they enjoy. I like the image because first of all its true, second I receive a warm feeling of love and joy which to me makes this photograph so powerful. When ever I am able to create a space for people to show up without their critic, magic happens.

I wonder what it must be like to have a photograph that reflects back to you a moment with your son where you are both blissed out? Do you find value in this image?

Of course its also important to have images of them looking back at the camera for grandma, but can you see the power and value present in this image?

Can you see how powerful a photograph can be?

Can you see how powerful and rich a shared smile can be?

I invite you to watch the moments that are not so obvious to the camera. You maybe surprise at what you see.

When you are taking a photograph take the one where everyone is looking but then after you have taken the image keep looking at your subject and watch how they go from being ON for the camera to being REAL as they are not aware of the camera at that point.

Have fun and remember to see beyond the obvious.

No comments:

Powered By Blogger