Wednesday, March 29, 2006



Is there Beauty in the darkness?

Can this image be beautiful? Can you see the beauty within it? For years I stayed away from photographing in the dark. I judged it for some reason as ugly or evil. All the things I was taught growing up went right against the symbol of darkness.

I was drawn to take this image for a number of reasons, many of which are unconscious but nontheless I find beauty within this image. I love how the light touches the bricks and gives a bit of a sheen to reveal the texture of the bricks. I love the repetition and care that was revealed in how they were placed to create that pattern. I love the dark harsh lines of the fence I shot through which add some tension and a bit of drama to the image. Would this image be beautiful if it was full on sun shining down on everything? Maybe, but you would not see the texture of the bricks. You would not receive the drama of the fence and the feeling would be blah, in my opinion.

I have come to believe that darkness can reveal beauty.


Can you find beauty in the darkness?

Can you find beauty in your darkness?
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

MYSTIC said...

Erik it reminds me of bars on a cell...not a pleasant thought but very dark indeed

YOUMEANDEVERYONE said...

Hello Mystic,

Thanks for your comments.

I hear what you are saying I think for me it just drew me in on an unconcious level. Often with my personal work I just photograph what moves me and don't really think to much about it till later. I guess I can make up a story about every image.

Be well

Erik

Powered By Blogger